I’ve applied for Universal Credit, now what?

If you are worried about how you are going to manage until you get your first Universal Credit payment, there is help available:

Contact your local food bank

Food banks across Shropshire know that this can be a very difficult time and they can support you with food until you get your first payment.  They are used to helping people in your exact situation, so will be understanding and non-judgemental. Usually you need to get a referral, but your local food bank will be able to talk you through the process. 

Visit our Emergency Food page to find out more.

Contact Shropshire Council

Shropshire Council has access to funds to support people in financial difficulty. The LSPF team are there to  help. Call them on 0345 678 9078. They will talk through your current financial circumstances and may be able to offer you temporary help.

The council may also be able to help you with any rent payments.  Call them on 0345 678 9002 or visit their website for more information.

Universal Credit Advance Payment

You can also ask for an advance whilst you wait for your first payment. However, this is an interest free loan, which will mean that you will need to pay it back each month out of your monthly Universal Credit payments.  Check out this information from Citizen's Advice beforehand.