What is Healthy Start?
Healthy Start is a national government scheme to help pregnant women, new parents, babies and young children stay healthy. You could get weekly vouchers for £3.10 to buy:
· Baby formula
· Fresh and frozen fruit and vegetables
(Some families can claim £6.20 per week)
Many families in Shropshire are missing out. These vouchers are easy to use and can help to reduce your food bill every week.
Can I get it?
You are eligible for these vouchers if you are over 10 weeks pregnant or have a child under the age of 4 and are on any of these benefits:
· Income Support
· Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
· Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (only whilst you are more than 10 weeks pregnant, once the child is born you will no longer qualify)
· Child Tax Credit with a family income of £16,190 or less per year
· Pension Credit; or
· Universal Credit with no earned income or total earned income of £408 or less per month for the family. (To find this refer to your Universal Credit award notice in the section “your take home pay for this month”.)
You are also eligible if you are pregnant and under 18, regardless of whether you are on benefits or not.
How do I get it?
You no longer need to get your form signed by a midwife or health visitor – you can just fill in and send off yourself. Download and print the form here and send off to this Freepost address:
Healthy Start Issuing Unit
PO Box 1067
You can also call 0345 607 6823 or ask your midwife or health visitor to send you a free application pack.
Where can I use the vouchers?