Household Bills

I need help with...

Council tax reduction scheme

If you are struggling to pay your council tax - don't ignore it! 

There is help available


It's well worth getting in touch with Shropshire Council ASAP as they may be able to support you via a discretionary housing payment. 

Visit their website 

or call 0345 6789002 or e-mail


Many households in Shropshire struggle to keep their houses warm. Older houses may be poorly insulated, and if you have an old boiler it can be expensive to run. If you live in a rural area then filling the oil tank can be a huge expense. If you would like some advice then the local organisations below may be able to help. 


If you are struggling to pay your energy bills then follow this advice from Citizens Advice.

community resource.PNG
keep shropshire warm.PNG
community resource.PNG

Provide advice on:

  • Comparing tariffs to save money and finding the best deal
  • Advice on switching providers
  • Warm Home Discount scheme
  • Accessing Priority Services Register
  • The Green Homes Grant

01743 342167

Keep Shropshire Warm is an energy advice partnership between Marches Energy Agency (MEA) and Shropshire Council.


They accept referrals on behalf of residents from friends, family, and professionals – or residents can contact us directly. They can help with:

  • keeping warm at home

  • heating & hot water

  • insulation & heating grants 

  • pre-payment meters

  • energy bills

  • tariffs & suppliers


Advice is given over the phone by trained charity staff. For those who need it, there is the option of a follow up home visit or ongoing casework support. 

0800 112 3743

Membership scheme which saves households money on their oil costs

A monthly bulk order of oil for Shropshire enables households to get the best price

 01743 342167 

If you are on a low income or receive certain benefits you might be able to get some help with your energy bills.
Grants to help pay off your energy debts

If you’re in debt to your energy supplier, you might be able to get a grant from a charitable trust to help pay it off.


Warm Home Discount Scheme

You might be able to get £140 off your electricity bill under the Warm Home Discount Scheme if you’re getting the guarantee credit part of Pension Credit or on a low income. Check with your supplier to see if they offer the Warm Home Discount - not all suppliers are part of the scheme.

Find out more on


The Winter Fuel Payment

If you have reached State Pension age, you could get between £100 and £300 to help you pay your heating bills. You usually get a Winter Fuel Payment automatically if you are eligible and you get the State Pension or another social security benefit. 

Find out how to claim on


The Cold Weather Payment

Cold Weather Payments are one-off payments to help you pay for extra heating costs when it’s very cold. You’ll get £25 for each 7 day period of very cold weather between 1 November and 31 March. You may get a Cold Weather Payment if you’re getting certain benefits.

Find out how to claim on

Severn Trent Big Difference Scheme

Open to all customers of Severn Trent who are finding it difficult to pay their bill. Depending on circumstances customers can receive a reduction of 10-90%.

Eligibility is based on assessment of income and expenditure.

Find out more

TV Licence

The Simple Payment Plan allows you to spread the cost of your TV license over 12 months, it also allows some flexibility if you miss a payment. 
You can qualify for the plan if you:

  • have been interviewed under caution for TV Licence fee evasion and so could face prosecution

  • have previously held a licence that was cancelled within the last six months because of missed payments.

Find out more


Some internet providers offer a discounted 'social tariff'. 

Find out more about the different tariffs on offer here.